Surrogacy is a arrangement often supported by a legal agreement, whereby a women agrees to become pregnant, carry the pregnancy to due term and give birth to a child.
There are two types of Surrogacy – Traditional Surrogacy & Gestational surrogacy.
- In traditional surrogacy a surrogate mother is artificially inseminate either by the intended father or an anonymous donor, and carries the baby to term. The child is thereby genetically related to both the surrogate mother who provides the egg, and the intended father or anonymous donor.
- In gestational surrogacy, an egg is removed from the intended mother or an anonymous donor and fertilized with the sperm of the intended father or anonymous donor. The fertilized egg or embryo is then transferred to a surrogate who carries the baby to term. The child is thereby genetically related to the women who donated the egg and the intended father or sperm donor, but not the surrogate.
Qualification or guideline to be a surrogate.
- Has delivered a child of their own and is currently parenting atleast one child.
- Has an an uncomplicated pregnancy or delivery.
- A surrogate age should be between 21years to 41years
- BMI (Body Mass Index) should be Less than 33.
- A surrogate should be legal citizen of India.
- She should have family or partner support.
- Leads a stable and responsible lifestyle.
- Should be willing to undergo IVF process.
- Should not be drug, alcohol and smoke abuse.
What are indications to adopt surrogacy
- Genetic issues of uterine abnormalities that preclude carrying a baby.
- Congenital abnormalities like absence of uterus or vagina.
- Multiple IVF failures
- Thin endometrium which is non responsive to medicine
- Cervical incompetence causing multiple miscarriages.
- Serve kidney, liver and heart diseases
Medical test to select surrogate :
- Ultrasound of pelvis.
- Blood test for infections, genetic issues and metabolic rates.
- Pelvic screening.
The selected surrogate and intended couple have to undergo legal procedure like Signing legal documents under guidance of legal Advisor.